[Openstack] Floating IP in OS API

Thorsten von Eicken tve at rightscale.com
Tue Jun 21 18:40:35 UTC 2011

Thanks for the links, I added the following questions & comments to the
etherpad. If that's the wrong place, let me know...

1. The LIST response must contain the full deatil of each IP. Otherwise
one has to do N further requests to get them, which doesn't scale at
all. In this case, since there is so little detail for each IP the extra
response payload is minimal.

2. I don't understand why the association call has a fixed_ip parameter.
What is this fixed_ip? If it's the local IP of an instance, what makes
you think that that's unique and immutable? Consider stop&start, in EC2
an instance typically gets a new local IP, do you want to preclude that
in OpenStack? If it gets a new local IP, was the floating IP associated
with the old local IP or is it associated with the instance (whatever
its current local IP may be)?

    TvE