[Openstack] Problems with re-bundle

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Jun 10 15:18:47 UTC 2011

Scott Moser wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Jun 2011, Muhammad Atif wrote:
>> 1- Downloaded the ubuntu1010 image from openstack site as follows:
>>     wget
>> http://c0179148.cdn1.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/ubuntu1010-UEC-localuser-image.tar.gz
>
> Does anyone know what this image is ?
> I'm guessing that Muhammad found reference to it from
> http://wiki.openstack.org/GettingImages . The page there mentions
> http://uec-images.ubuntu.com, but the code snippit points to something on
> http://c0179148.cdn1.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/ .
>
> I'm happy that people find the uec-images.ubuntu.com images useful, and
> one reason that we put the files there is so that people can easily use
> them as a starting point for recreating images.
>
> However, if there is something that was insufficient about the official
> ubuntu images, I'd like to know what it was so that we can make them
> better.  What was it that caused someone to create
> "ubuntu1010-UEC-localuser-image.tar.gz" ?

Reading the wiki it looks like it's an "Ubuntu 10.10 x64_86 image (no
ramdisk) modified with local user account". Apparently it sets the
ubuntu user password to "ubuntu", and allows passwordful SSH. Given the
rest of the instructions that should not be necessary, so this should
probably be fixed.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack