[Openstack] XML and JSON for API's

Bryan Taylor btaylor at rackspace.com
Fri Jun 3 17:13:20 UTC 2011

Format wars are so tiring. What formats we Openstack should output is a
marketing question, not a technical one. We should be trying to figure
out how to do more formats, not fewer, because customers don't want us
making choices that place constraints on them, especially when those are
tied to religious wars like XML vs JSON.

I'll speak on behalf of my organization - Rackspace Internal IT. We've
standardized on XML for backend work. We aren't spending much time
debugging serialization issues and are pretty happy with our decision
and aren't likly to change any time soon. People can argue JSON's merits
all day, and at the point they try to tell me how to implement my
solutions, all it does is annoy me, because format wars are annoying.

Customers want tooling that's flexible and doesn't try to force its
opinions on them. So the obvious thing to do is support both JSON and
XML, which isn't that hard. Web frameworks that can do it elegantly are
a dime a dozen. The question we should be discussing is what to ADD to
{XML, JSON}, not take away.

On 06/03/2011 04:37 AM, George Reese wrote:
> A lot of the arguments against both XML and JSON seem to boil down to "here's why XML sucks..."
>
> The reality is, for whatever reason, good or bad, a lot of people prefer to parse complex data in XML. There's a big market for it. Supporting both formats doesn't add horrible complexity.
>
> -George

at abuse at rackspace.com, and delete the original message.
Your cooperation is appreciated.