[Openstack] Changes-Since

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 13:51:13 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 9:25 AM, Greg Holt <gholt at rackspace.com> wrote:
> On Jun 2, 2011, at 12:39 AM, Jorge Williams wrote:
>> How do you guys feel about the changes-since feature?
>> And if it is in the core shouldn't we support it in all of our APIs (images, load balancers, etc.)?
>
> I don't think it'd be a good idea for Swift. It would require an additional index using up storage space, i/o, and cpu as well making it that much harder for sharding in the future to scale to really huge containers.

Yeah, given Swift's distributed architecture, it may not make much
sense at all, especially if there's no user demand for it (doesn't
sound like there is?).

For Glance, the general use case -- getting a list of images
created/updated since the last time your checked -- isn't all that
compelling; but I figured once the snapshotting/backup stuff is done,
doing a request for all images since the last time you checked might
be useful, especially if you want to do things like "delete all but
the most recent 10 snapshots since the last time I checked". Or maybe
not, I don't know. :)

-jay