[Openstack] OpenStack Common

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Jul 26 12:26:11 UTC 2011

Brian Lamar wrote:
> I love the idea of having an openstack-common project. However, the prospect of creating such a project is daunting and quite difficult.
> [...]

Thanks for bringing up the subject ! I think there are two types of
benefits from this:

The first is, like you said, to lower the barrier of entry for new
projects. Having a set of proven ways of doing logging, configuration
etc. would definitely help in spawning a new project "the OpenStack way".

The second is to better establish "OpenStack" as an integrated product
made of cooperating components. If people that want to deploy multiple
OpenStack components end up having to learn 4 different config file
formats and teach their tools to recognize 3 different log formats, it
appears like the whole "OpenStack" thing is non-professional.

Choosing the "best practice" way among the different projects
implementations and making it the "common" way would allow to quickly
reap the first type of benefits. The cost of separating it is not so large.

Then we can encourage existing projects using different implementations
to migrate to the "common" way, in order to reap the second type as
well. There would certainly be delays and exceptions to the common rule,
since this part would probably be a bit more painful: the cost of
replacing a current (working) system is a lot larger.

Cheers,

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack