[Openstack] OpenStack Common

Glen Campbell glen.campbell at RACKSPACE.COM
Mon Jul 25 17:20:19 UTC 2011

Would it better to break it down even further? I.e., instead of trying to
put ALL the common code into one project, create mini projects for
common-logging, common-configuration, etc. That would permit other
projects to adopt what they need, when they need it, rather than trying to
integrate the entire common project at once.

For example, we're working on converting Glance to use the
logging/notification mechanism defined by Nova. The first step in the
project was, however, "cut and paste notification code" from one to the
other. That's disturbing to me, because it doubles the amount of effort
required to implement changes to the notification system in the future. It
would be much better IMHO to have a refactored common-logging module that
could be included by multiple projects, with a standard interface each
project could rely upon.

There's no requirement, then, to implement common-rpc when you integrate
common-logging, which lowers the barrier to entry for each project.