[Openstack] how many servers will be need for insall swift?

Juan J. Martínez juan at memset.com
Thu Jul 21 09:51:19 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-07-21 at 16:23 +0800, tianyi wang wrote:
> [...]
> I not want to install OpenStack Object Storage for development or
> testing purposes on a
> single server. I want to install a mini swift production environment,
> how many servers is be need?

I think the storage node/proxy node distinction if a good idea, because
they have different requirements in bandwidth, disk and CPU; check:

http://swift.openstack.org/howto_installmultinode.html#basic-architecture-and-terms

The minimal production environment could be 3 storage nodes (different
machines, because you need at least 3 zones if you're going to have 3
replicas), and a variable number of proxy nodes (at least one!).

You need to host the authentication service somewhere (if you're running
just one proxy, that can be the place).

I recommend you reading:

 http://swift.openstack.org/deployment_guide.html#deployment-options

> And another question :  the servers install swift need the CPU support VT?
> Because we have some server does not support VT, maybe those server
> can work as storage server?

You don't need VT support on any swift node.

Regards,

Juan

--
Juan J. Martinez
Development, MEMSET

mail: juan at memset.com
 web: http://www.memset.com/

Memset Ltd., registration number 4504980. 25 Frederick Sanger Road, Guildford, Surrey, GU2 7YD, UK.