[Openstack] Thinking about Backups/Snapshots in Nova Volume

Tim Bell Tim.Bell at cern.ch
Thu Jul 21 07:29:27 UTC 2011

As regards the backup/snapshots....

>From our use cases on service consolidation for production servers, we'd like to be able to

- support frequent snap shots, ideally to also make those snapshots easily available in Glance for test machine clone operations
- replicate those snapshots to other sites to allow for disaster recovery
- allow long term archiving to S3 such as historical images for data preservation

Being able to associate a VM image snapshot with a block storage snapshot so that the entire state of a machine and its external volumes can be recovered together would be very useful for these disaster recovery scenarios.

Tim Bell
CERN