[Openstack] Thinking about Backups/Snapshots in Nova Volume

Vishvananda Ishaya vishvananda at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 19:56:58 UTC 2011

Can we clarify this a bit?

I see there are two functionalities:

backup / restore

this allows you to do an in place backup of an object, restore brings back the state in place

(internally the backup can be local or remote, but for effeciency would probably be something like a difference image)

snapshot / clone

this allows you to take the object and save its state.  You can't restore the object in place, but you can create a new object that is a clone of the old object.

Does this functionality line up with with what you are suggesting?

i think in general there should be a way to turn a backup into a snapshot as well, so you could create a new object from a backup

Vish