[Openstack] VNC consoles for all

Anthony Young sleepsonthefloor at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 17:36:32 UTC 2011

The main issue was that maintaining ec2 extensions was becoming too hairy,
which is why the original doc talks about using the direct api client to get
a console url.  Dashboard support for vnc was subsequently added through the
community using dashboard's ec2 extensions.

Proper support for vnc consoles and other features that diverge from the ec2
is coming as we transition away from ec2 to the openstack api and
extensions.  The very latest trunk version of dashboard supports vnc
consoles for all users through os extensions, and actually doesn't use ec2
at all.

That said, UX-wise, I'd expect that any user should be able to access the
console of an instance that was launched by their tenant.  So it probably
still makes sense to make the change you suggest to support older ec2-based
dashboards.

Anthony