[Openstack] OpenStack Identity: Keystone API Proposal

Ziad Sawalha ziad.sawalha at rackspace.com
Wed Jul 13 04:45:15 UTC 2011

Here's a possible use case we can implement to address this:

  1.  A service 'registers' itself with Keystone and reserves a name (Ex. Swift, or nova). Keystone will guarantee uniqueness.
  2.  Registered services can then create roles for the service (Ex. swift:admin or nova:netadmin) or tuples as suggested below (nova:delete:volume)
  3.  On token validation, Keystone returns these roles and a service can apply it's own policies based on them.

This is super-simplified and we can expand on it.

Other benefits:

  *   Registration would also be handy to allow services to add and manage endpoints as well.
  *   We can also tie this with the concept of a ClientID so services can identify themselves as well with a long-lived token (see https://github.com/rackspace/keystone/issues/84)
  *   Common names for services could be implemented as shareable among different implementations (Ex: compute:admin)

Thoughts?

And comments inline ZNS>>