[Openstack] nova-manage network modifications feedback request

Dan Wendlandt dan at nicira.com
Tue Jul 12 02:33:45 UTC 2011

Hi Jason,

Thanks for sending this out.  I like the idea of separating the notion of
creating a network (L2 connectivity) from creating a subnet (L3 addressing)
with nova-manage.  This is inline with the Quantum work some of us are
building to create L2 networking as a separate service (
http://www.slideshare.net/danwent/quantum-diablo-summary).

This is actually great timing, as we're currently in the middle of figuring
out a lof the nova network refactoring and how Quantum will fit in, see:
- https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/network-refactoring
- https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/implement-network-api

Given that we're reworking the commands (and potentially breaking peoples'
scripts), it might make sense to add a "type" field to the "network create"
command to provide future flexibility to introducing different types of
networks that can be created by nova-manage, particularly Quantum networks.
Nova's existing model of L2 networking is very specific to Linux bridging
and fields like  [VLAN_START] [FLAT_NETWORK_BRIDGE]
[BRIDGE_INTERFACE] don't really make sense, but other fields will.

It would be great to coordinate these changes.  Do you know when you expect
your branch (
https://code.launchpad.net/~jason-koelker/nova/separate_networks, I
believe?) to hit?  Thanks,

Dan

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 9:28 AM, Jason Kölker <jkoelker at rackspace.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am work on being able to use ipv6 without the ipv4 requirement. To do
> this I am generalizing the concept of subnets so that any data link
> (bridge) can be assigned more than one subnet of which any number of
> them may be an ipv4 or an ipv6 subnet.
>
> I've seen some bugs popping up with the the syntax of the nova-manage
> and would like to solicit feedback on altering the `network create`
> commands. Currently the command is in the form of:
>
> nova-manage network create LABEL CIDR [NUM_NETWORKS] [NETWORK_SIZES]
> [VLAN_START] [VPN_START] [FIXED_RANGE_V6] [GATEWAY_V6]
> [FLAT_NETWORK_BRIDGE] [BRIDGE_INTERFACE]
>
> I would propose this be changed to:
>
> nova-manage network create LABEL [VLAN_START] [FLAT_NETWORK_BRIDGE]
> [BRIDGE_INTERFACE]
>
> nova-manage subnet create NETWORK_ID CIDR [GATEWAY] [DBS] [VPN_START]
>
> I would also update the `network create` and `network list` to print out
> the network id so it can easily be looked up for creating subnets. As
> with the current command, a '0' will indicate a skipped option.
>
> The largest distinction here is that the command (and nova) does not
> differentiate between v4 and v6 subnets and should use netaddr to "do
> the right thing". It also removes the automatic subnetting the current
> command allows and forces the user to explicitly create each subnet.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Happy Hacking!
>
> 7-11
> --
> A. Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion
> Q. Why is top posting bad?

Dan Wendlandt
Nicira Networks, Inc.
www.nicira.com | www.openvswitch.org