[Openstack] Cross-zone instance identifiers in EC2 API - Is it worth the effort?

Sandy Walsh sandy.walsh at RACKSPACE.COM
Mon Jul 11 19:47:52 UTC 2011

Won't an IPv6 address do that by it's very nature?

-S

From: openstack-bounces+sandy.walsh=rackspace.com at lists.launchpad.net [openstack-bounces+sandy.walsh=rackspace.com at lists.launchpad.net] on behalf of Chris Behrens [chris.behrens at RACKSPACE.COM]
Sent: Monday, July 11, 2011 4:24 PM
To: Ed Leafe
Cc: openstack at lists.launchpad.net; Chris Behrens
Subject: Re: [Openstack] Cross-zone instance identifiers in EC2 API - Is it worth the effort?

On Jul 11, 2011, at 12:01 PM, Ed Leafe wrote:

> On Jul 11, 2011, at 2:04 PM, Eric Day wrote:
>
>>> How is
>>>
>>> nova-<account>-<instance uuid>
>>>
>>> any different than:
>>>
>>> AAAABBBB-CCCC-DDDD-EEEE-FFFFGGGGHHHH
>>>
>>> Where AAAA/BBBB/CCCC (or some subset of them) are reserved/regulated?
>>
>> Nothing, if DDDD-EEEE-FFFFGGGGHHHH is a full UUID. If we compare to
>> swift, the account prefix is a UUID too. The account prefix could be
>> fixed for a session or passed in to every request depending on how
>> things are decided.
>
>       <sigh>
>
>       It's a shame that the ipv6 proposal was never more fully considered. That would handle the uniqueness, with the added benefit of providing simple zone routing via DNS, with the exact same 128-bit/32 char size.

I don't I remember that proposal, but that's such a neat idea.  Was anything discussed at all in Santa Clara regarding encoding zone information in the instance identifier?  I apparently missed the instance identifier discussion somehow.

- Chris

This email may include confidential information. If you received it in error, please delete it.