[Openstack] about multi-node installation with vlan

Jeff Kramer jeffkramer at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 14:07:39 UTC 2011

Alex,

Only the private switch needs to support 802.1q, and you configure the name
of the tags when you run nova-manage network create, by adding a fourth
argument, usually a number that is your vlan tag.  For each network you
create in one command, the number you give it is iterated by one, so if you
do:

nova-manage network create 10.0.1.0/24 4 64 100

You'll end up with 4 database entries:

10.0.1.0 - 10.0.1.63 vlan: 100
10.0.1.64 - 10.0.1.127 vlan: 101
10.0.1.128 - 10.0.1.191 vlan: 102
10.0.1.192 - 10.0.1.254 vlan: 103

You can see them in the networks table of the nova database. (It's the
'vlan' column.)  They need to be unique, so if you have two networks with a
vlan of 100 (because you ran nova-network twice without explicitly stating
the vlan start), that's probably not going to work.

As I understand it, the vms are passed the vlan tag when they startup, and
the network node knows about each customer's network, so it knows what to
pay attention to tag-wise.

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 2:36 AM, tianyi wang <alex-cloud at live.com> wrote:

>  Hi all:
>
>     When use multi-node installation with vlan mode, the vlan configuration
> is in switch or in nova control node? And what's the vlan configuration
> process?
>
>     I read this article : http://dodeeric.louvrex.net/?p=225
>
>     ================begin====================
> In the VLAN network mode, each project is given a specific VLAN/subnet. We
> will configure three VLANs/subnets (feel free to create much more):
> *- VLAN: 1 — Subnet: 10.0.1.0/24 — Bridge name: br_vlan1:*
>
> # nova-manage network create 10.0.1.0/24 1 256
>
> *- VLAN: 2 — Subnet: 10.0.2.0/24 — Bridge name: br_vlan2:*
>
> # nova-manage network create 10.0.2.0/24 1 256
>
> *- VLAN: 3 — Subnet: 10.0.3.0/24 — Bridge name: br_vlan3:*
>
> # nova-manage network create 10.0.3.0/24 1 256

>   It's seem like configure vlan in nova control node?
>
>   If there are two switch: one is for public and another is for private,
> both public and private switch need support vlan 802.1q? Or just private
> switch is need support vlan 802.1q?
>
>   thanks
>
> alex

Jeff Kramer