[Openstack] Cross-zone instance identifiers in EC2 API - Is it worth the effort?

Ewan Mellor Ewan.Mellor at eu.citrix.com
Mon Jul 11 05:31:00 UTC 2011

I agree that implementing a perfect EC2 simulator would be hard.  We shouldn't try and do that.  We should have an EC2-compatible API for a sensible feature-set, but we shouldn't try and add support for every new feature that Amazon adds.

The value of this API is that EC2-compatible tools can be used against OpenStack.  That doesn't mean that we're trying to make a drop-in replacement for EC2, including all its new features.  You're right that that would be very hard, and we shouldn't try.

Ewan.