[Openstack] Cross-zone instance identifiers in EC2 API - Is it worth the effort?

Jan Drake jan_drake at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 10 04:44:08 UTC 2011

Apologies but I've been lurking on this thread and I have to agree with Devin.  What I want from Openstack APIs is a consistent API that handles the provider platform behind the scenes.  In a scenario where i need to manage aws separately, for instance, I may need openstack to expose native identifiers for debugging and extra complex management functions so I can get to that data outdide the  OStack APIs.

So, for me, I'd like to see a general pattern across openstack APIs that models and provides what I need while providing discovery interfaces for the underlying provider.

Jan Drake
Principal Cloud Architect
The Walt Disney Company

On Jul 9, 2011, at 5:23 PM, Devin Carlen <devin.carlen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Here's a few crazy questions for you guys to consider:
>
> 1) Why are we even trying to have the same ID for an instance or image across two different APIs?
>
> 2) How many people really switch back and forth between OpenStack and EC2 API once they pick one?
>
> 3) How many people really expect euca2ools and python-novatools to return the same IDs for the same instances?
>
> 4) Why not just store a EC2 ID and a OS ID alongside an actual row PK?
>

> My point with these questions is that very little is gained from forcing two different APIs to try to use the same ID, especially given that the format is different. I would argue that it has created a lot more problems than it has solved.
>

> Devin
>

> On Jul 8, 2011, at 3:12 PM, Soren Hansen wrote:
>
>> 2011/7/8 Vishvananda Ishaya <vishvananda at gmail.com>:
>>> Yes they seem to apply to all ids
>>> r-XXXXXXX
>>> ami-XXXXXXX