[Openstack] Cross-zone instance identifiers in EC2 API - Is it worth the effort?

George Reese george.reese at enstratus.com
Sat Jul 9 14:48:39 UTC 2011

The other piece of the puzzle is that it is very easy to keep a client consistent with the API; it's very hard to keep an implementation up-to-date.

I've built an EC2 compatible API and the problem is that understanding what has changed in the API (and it changes fairly frequently) is hard. On the other hand, AWS is great at not breaking clients. So, when they roll out a change, it doesn't impact clients; but anyone implementing an EC2-compatible API will immediately be broken for clients taking advantage of new features. Furthermore, it may not be entirely clear from your end what it is that broke things.

-George