[Openstack] Cross-zone instance identifiers in EC2 API - Is it worth the effort?

Soren Hansen soren at linux2go.dk
Fri Jul 8 13:54:50 UTC 2011

2011/7/8 Ed Leafe <ed.leafe at rackspace.com>:
>        No, it would work more like: a new instance is requested, and the host selected. A candidate UUID would be generated and checked for "first 8" uniqueness (I had already added a db method to locate by the first 8 chars of a UUID across nested zones). When an acceptable UUID was generated, it would be passed to the selected host along with the create request. The instance would only have to be created once.

If we're doing collision checking anyway, using UUID's to being with
is pointless. We're effectively reduced to a 32 bit key space and,
even worse, we're not being smart enough about it to actually do
without the extra DB roundtrip to check for collisions.

--
Soren Hansen        | http://linux2go.dk/
Ubuntu Developer    | http://www.ubuntu.com/