[Openstack] Cross-zone instance identifiers in EC2 API - Is it worth the effort?

Ed Leafe ed.leafe at rackspace.com
Fri Jul 8 00:38:35 UTC 2011

On Jul 7, 2011, at 11:46 AM, Trey Morris wrote:

> If I had to choose between dropping or truncating UUIDs and failing feature parity with the ec2 api, i'd go with the latter. Pros and cons for UUIDs have already been discussed and decisions made. The EC2 api shouldn't get in the way. A translation layer to sit in between the EC2 and OS APIs would solve this issue without revisiting the UUID argument.

	The code to use the first 8 chars of the UUID in the ec2 id was created and working well, but discarded in favor of a more limited approach. The only issue was the increased likelihood of a duplicate ec2 id, as we'd be limited to only 4 billion of them or so. I thought that it would be fairly straightforward to add code to detect such dupes, and re-generate a new UUID for the instance in that event. Then we would have no limits on ec2 compatibility, and we wouldn't need this discussion.

-- Ed Leafe

This email may include confidential information. If you received it in error, please delete it.