[Openstack] Cross-zone instance identifiers in EC2 API - Is it worth the effort?

Soren Hansen soren at linux2go.dk
Thu Jul 7 15:53:38 UTC 2011

2011/7/7 Vishvananda Ishaya <vishvananda at gmail.com>:
> I think we should move toward ec2 being a compatibility layer that is translated into the os api.  This compatibility layer would sit at the top level zone and could maintain its own database for conversion of ids, management of secret and access keys, etc.

With all due respect, I think this is a terrible idea. From a
technical perspective, a backend that is flexible enough to support
both the EC2 and the OpenStack (and OCCI and vCloud and whatever else)
APIs without translation layers is a good thing and helps keep the
separation clean.

>From an adoption perspective, like it or not, EC2 is popular. Lots of
people use it and are comfortable and familiar with its API. I don't
see what we'll win by so thoroughly reducing the EC2 API to a second
class citizen in Nova.

--
Soren Hansen        | http://linux2go.dk/
Ubuntu Developer    | http://www.ubuntu.com/