[Openstack] Network Service for L2/L3 Network Infrastructure blueprint

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 18:09:47 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 11:59 AM, Vishvananda Ishaya
<vishvananda at gmail.com> wrote:
> Integration is the issue.  It only works with osapi/xen at this point which isn't even the default hypervisor setting in the packaging.  A large number of people involved in Nova haven't even looked at it.  The changes to make it support the ec2_api properly will need to be done in two separate projects and require that the projects move forward in lock-step for versioning.  The blueprints and design decisions are essentially being managed separately.  I believe that most of this could have been avoided if we kept glance in nova initially and moved it out if necessary at a later date.

Fair enough statement. It may indeed have been easier to manage for
the EC2 API. But Glance is serving more than the EC2 API (which is
already served adequately by nova-objectstore, no?)  Rackspace needed
Glance to move forward with non-EC2 stuff, which is what was done for
Bexar.

Glance is a separate project from Nova. It's an image service. Nova
can use Glance or not use Glance, and people can deploy Glance without
Nova at all (if all they want to do is have a public image repository
(like Ubuntu, for example...)).

While we can work on integration points with Nova, and as soon as I
get input from Nova devs I am making blueprints in Glance, it's not
necessarily a bad thing that the design and blueprints for Glance are
separate from Nova. The Glance project needs to move at a different
pace at this point IMHO.

-jay