[Openstack] Glance/Nova Snapshot Changes

Eric Day eday at oddments.org
Mon Jan 3 18:55:36 UTC 2011

Is there a reason you need to even touch Glance from the Nova API
server before returning metadata? Could you just generate and return
what that will be, or do you need to obtain something from Glance
for the return (like image_id)?

For compute API/manager, you can make this a call instead of a cast so
it waits for a return value too. You could have the compute.manager
method return the metadata, but this means possibly blocking until
a worker can pick it up from the queue. In the future we can create
a non-blocking API call (as we will for other methods) that quickly
returns an operation ID that you can query later for metadata. You
probably would still need the two calls if you need some data returned
from Glance to fulfill the API request, since you wouldn't want to
block while the entire image is being saved.

-Eric