[Openstack] Use of IANA-registered ports

Rick Harris rick.harris at rackspace.com
Mon Jan 3 17:39:21 UTC 2011

> streaming should be done inside nova-compute, rather than in a xapi plugin...
do you _need_ the code inside a plugin for xs-snapshots, or will it be OK if we move it?

If we moved the code into nova-compute, wouldn't that mean we're directing
all image-download/image-snapshot traffic through the compute node?

Swift -> Glance -> Compute -> XS-Host

Since we're going to have far fewer compute nodes than XS-Hosts, wouldn't it
be better to bypass compute-node entirely?

Swift -> Glance -> XS-Host

>From a maintenance/deployment/code-reuse perspective, I agree a plugin is less-than-ideal, but I think, considering the tradeoffs, it solves the problem quite nicely.

> Assuming that that’s OK, where should this code go?

The ImageService is probably not the right place for it since, as I understand
it, it's an API-level abstraction for image discovery and description.

We probably need a similar abstraction at the Compute-level which abstracts
image uploading and fetching.

However, this may be moot at some point, as the API and Compute-level could
eventually delgate both responsibilities to Glance.

> I was also expecting Sateesh to implement the Glance authentication, once Jay
is finished with middleware-authentication.  Was anyone else expecting to do
this?

We've been punting on auth for the moment. If you guys have a good idea of
where to go with it, please do!

> What is the intended semantics of the Glance x-image-meta-type header values “raw” vs “machine”?

If I'm remembering correctly, we lifted that from the Image model that was
orginally defined-but-commented-out in Nova.  It's not being used yet, but the
idea would be that values would include ("raw", "machine", "kernel",
"ramdisk").

> IANA Ports

Agreed, 80/443 make sense.