[Openstack] server affinity

Erik Carlin erik.carlin at rackspace.com
Mon Feb 28 23:57:43 UTC 2011

That depends on what "near" means?  This will no doubt have significant
network implications and I can envision at least two levels of near (for
Rackspace):

1. Same public subnet, whatever that translates to.  This is what
Rackspace needs now and specifically for compute.
2. Same private network aggregation zone.  That is what I have been
referring to as a "performance zone".  By getting resources on the same
aggr (whether it's a pair, spine, etc.), you optimize the bisectional
bandwidth and performance of resources.  You would want to get compute,
block, lbs, etc. in the same performance zone if possible, or as close as
possible as dictated by the network topology.

I think different deployments will leverage the affinity abstractions
uniquely, but I can see the need for multiple ones.

Erik