[Openstack] Steps that can help stabilize Nova's trunk

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 21:27:18 UTC 2011

Andy has listed a few things on the wiki. I'll summarize the known efforts here:

* Anso has created some Vagrant scripts that test multi-node
functionality of the EC2 API, libvirt + KVM, and nova-objectstore
* Vishy/Devin  have been refactored Nova's existing smoketests/ and
updated to include netadmin tests. Still only testing EC2 API
* Trey has been "volunteered" to write an OpenStack API smoketest for
XenServer functionality (https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/720941)
* Jordan Rinke has been working on a 10-machine test cluster for
testing deployments and running smoketests on
* Other rackers (Pvo, Ant?) have been working on getting a much larger
production-level test cluster for running longer, more complex tests
on

Stuff we need to do:

* Create a staging/testing branch, have Openstack Hudson LP user own it
* Get the test cluster machines entered into Hudson
* On each merge proposal into trunk, have Tarmac pull the branch, run
unit tests automatically, fire off smoketests/ against the test
machines automatically, and notify the merge proposal that tests pass
or don't pass.
* For merge proposals that pass the merge into staging and all tests
that also have 2 Approves from core devs, have Tarmac merge into trunk
* Create long-running functional tests that are essentially re-playing
large Apache/nginx log files of existing Nebula and Cloud Servers API
nodes against Nova staging branch with various configurations

-jay