[Openstack] Novatools ...

John Purrier john at openstack.org
Thu Feb 24 19:19:31 UTC 2011

I see the value in having a separate CLI tool per service as:

a. Scales easily, no cross-service dependencies.
b. Expectations are clear that each service must provide an API and CLI to
drive it.
c. Interactions can be clearly targeted to a specified service (no
ambiguity).
d. These tools are naturally built by the developers to debug the service as
it is being built.

As I mentioned, we can (should?) also have an aggregated "ostools" framework
that can drive any of the lower level tools, as well as invoke any higher
level orchestration constructs that we build.

This makes sense to me, but at the end of the day we need a toolset that can
drive our service interfaces. Singular or a collection of tools is less
important than the fact that the service API's exist and can be accessed via
scripts and the command line.

John