[Openstack] Burrow (queue service)

Eric Day eday at oddments.org
Thu Feb 24 19:15:07 UTC 2011

Hi Greg,

I've updated the wiki with a number of items you mention below,
as well as some responses inline. I'm CC'ing the openstack list so
others can see as well.

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 10:49:31AM -0600, Gregory_Althaus at Dell.com wrote:
> 1.  What are the functional constraints of the queue?  In the email chain, you and others mentioned some, but I think doc needs to be clearer as to the goal/requirements.   Is order maintained?  With regard to whom?   Who decides order?  Are they client relative?  Queue relative?  Proxy relative? I think the document mentions that duplicates might show up and the worker may need to handle this through idempotent operation.   Is expected base operation a FIFO?  Are LIFOs possible?

See: http://wiki.openstack.org/QueueService#Behavior_and_Constraints

Let me know if there are any questions I didn't answer thoroughly
enough.

> 2.  What is the expectation of the client?  Is it to only track the API or is it intended to be functional in the operation and distribution of the messages.  For example, the client in example deployment 1 and 3 are simple Restful clients that don't have to worry about availability, server lists, distribution mechanisms, etc.  While the client in example 2, appears to be doing the work of the proxy without calling out the proxy.  Each client seems to maintaining connections and dealing with routing.  This seems a little onerous for a client implementation.   Seem different, but I don't think should be.

Your description is correct, and both are possible. See: the last
paragraph in the "Behavior_and_Constraints" section listed above.

> 3.  Who is responsible for account authentication in use cases 1 and 2?  In example 3, it seems that the proxy is the control point, but in the other cases it isn't clear (I mean the queue server is going to do it, but it seems like that isn't that component's job).

The authentication will be pluggable and can be inserted in or bypassed
in either the proxy or queue server. For example, the proxy server
may do the real auth an send a 'already authed' header to the queue
server, assuming this is a trusted link in the deployment. I want to
keep this flexible to accommodate for different deployments.

> 4.  Components might want to be split into pieces.  Half the components are logic data elements (Queue, account, message). While the other half are actors.  Since Erlang is the chosen language, you may want to skew the blueprint into that paradigm.

Thanks, I split them up into groups.

> 5. Are their monitoring or feedback mechanisms in the system?  What are your intentions or thoughts?

The logging will be modular, and one of the modules will be feeding
logs/diagnostics/accounting information back into the queue as special
queue names. For example, I could subscribe to /account/_accounting to
see all accounting related events for my account, or /_accounting for
all accounting info (for service billing). You can also write service
plugins in the server/proxy to push them elsewhere. I still need to
work out the details on this, but this is related to the "firehose"
discussion in a previous thread from last week.

> 6. What are the security constraints between client <-> proxy, Proxy <-> queue, queue <-> proxy, and proxy <-> worker.

This is deployment specific and pluggable. All interfaces will be
modular, so you could use SSL, plain http, or other protocols which
may or may not be secure. For example, if I'm running this in my own
DC behind a DMZ and want optimal throughput, I won't be running with
any secure protocols. Public cloud will be just the opposite.

> 7. Given my concerns with item 2, have you considered going full swift-style and requiring a proxy in all deployments (may run in the same erlang process)?  It seems that by acknowledging that upfront and modularizing it at the beginning you get a more consistent model for all the deployment cases.  Also, we get subcomponents that can be built and validated independently.  Proxy in this model basically becomes an API endpoint and router.  Queue is message persistence at the levels you mentioned.  Client and worker get to be simple Rest clients.

Due to the ability for clients in some scenarios to want to
manage failing over or spreading the load, I'd like to keep it
optional. Clients and workers can still be simple REST clients when
using a single queue server or proxy.

We could always require a proxy up front, but from the user, this would
look no different than speaking to the queue service directly. We
should definitely keep these as separate modules and validate them
independently, but I guess I don't see a good reason to *require*
a proxy for all configurations, even if it's in-process.

I'd like to hear more from you on this, perhaps I'm not understanding
the reasoning well enough.

> 8.  I really like the choice of erlang for this and should make for a very clean code base.

Thanks, so do I. I'm confident it will work out well. :)

Thanks for all the great feedback! It really helps clarify things
on the wiki. Let me know if there are any other questions or concerns
I can address.

-Eric