[Openstack] Review days for nova-core members

Trey Morris trey.morris at rackspace.com
Thu Feb 24 18:10:17 UTC 2011

+1 to improving reviews since I agree with sandy on it being our greatest
strength. I also I prefer sandy's approach (unless I'm mistaken), jump in
and see how it goes, we can update a wiki as things proceed. I don't
understand the need for a more formal documentation of process. I'd just
hate for it to be a point of contention.

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 3:34 PM, Andy Smith <andyster at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 12:52 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org>wrote:
>
>> Andy Smith wrote:
>> > I have some anecdotal evidence to add to this from my time at Google:
>> >
>> > (1) At Google in all reality you spent at least 2 days a week pretty
>> > much only participating in code review and mailing list responses. This
>> > is due to a couple things, but mostly because code review is taken
>> > extremely seriously, the reviewer of the code has as much responsibility
>> > for what lands as the person writing the code, their name (or names) go
>> > in change commit. If that code creates a problem it is up to all people
>> > involved in that process to quickly come up with a resolution.
>> >
>> > That responsibility leads to some other great things:
>> >  * Lessening of self-defensiveness / personal investment in code: the
>> > code is not yours, it is multiple people's.
>> >  * You also always have at least one "buddy" who can back up the
>> > decisions that were made, if you are not around to argue a point that
>> > person probably can, and no attacks can ever be leveled at you
>> personally.
>>
>> We should definitely add the nova-core reviewers LPids to the commit
>> message, in order to encourage that spirit. Something like:
>>
>> [r=soren,termie] Rest of commit message...
>>

> Anybody know how hard it is to incorporate this into our tarmac?
>

>> > (2) At Google you generally have to give explicit targets for who should
>> > be your code reviewer. This prevents some tragedy of the commons
>> > behaviors (when there is nobody assigned everybody expects somebody else
>> > to do it).
>> >
>> > This also leads to people who are defacto (or explicit) leaders for
>> > certain sections of code. For example, when fixing a bug on a section of
>> > code you are not usually working in it is common to ask around on IRC
>> > (or just the office) to find out who knows most about that area and
>> > should do the review.
>>
>> This can easily be done by specifying reviewers when you do the branch
>> merge proposal.
>>

> Sure, we just need to remove it automatically selecting "Nova Core" and
> likewise as a reviewer for you so that people are forced to explicitly add a
> reviewer.
>

>> > (3) At Google one of the first things that new developers do is read
>> > through a couple nicely written documents on how to conduct code
>> > reviews, what your responsibilities are when doing code review, and some
>> > ways to make sure your tone comes off constructively.
>> >
>> > This keeps everybody on most of the same page and helps acclimatize
>> > people to social interaction related to coding.
>>
>> +1 on reference docs :)
>>
>> > I think adopting these behaviors would be in our best interest as a
>> > project, if that sounds good I am willing to take the time to generate
>> > the initial draft of the document and get the appropriate configurations
>> > / code updated to support tracking reviewers and requiring explicit
>> > reviewers.

> [...]

at abuse at rackspace.com, and delete the original message.
Your cooperation is appreciated.