[Openstack] Multi-Cluster/Zone - Devil in the Details ...

Sandy Walsh sandy.walsh at RACKSPACE.COM
Thu Feb 17 02:51:53 UTC 2011

Thanks for the feedback Soren.

I agree that caching can be error prone. When I first read your email I started to panic that we were taking the wrong tack. But, the more I think about it, it's probably not that bad.

For basic routing operations, I *think* the caching should be fine.

"Do you have any instances for customer X?"
"Do you have GPU-based hosts?"
"Are you in North America?"
"Do you have Ubuntu 10.10 images?"

These capabilities are largely static, so caching should be fine.

But at provisioning time, we need to bypass the cache and go direct to the zone. Particularly the create_volume() and create_instance() operations. Then, we need to go to each child zone and ask things like:

"Do you have 512M ram, 20G disk and 300GB bandwidth available now?"

Or, am I over-simplifying this scenario?

-S