[Openstack] documentation contributions

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Feb 14 15:25:24 UTC 2011

Jay Pipes wrote:
> IMHO, we should not be letting *any* significant new code into
> OpenStack projects without:
>
> a) docstrings for all methods -- these turn into our API
> documentation, so they are critical

Agreed.

> b) Full RST docs for any new feature added. No exceptions.

One issue is that if you see the split in Anne's description, features
documentation needs to be added to the admin docs (Docbook), not really
the developer docs (RST), so it's in a separate branch. That makes it
harder to enforce...

IIUC the dev docs should contain docstrings and a few developer-oriented
info like "how to do i18n right" or "how we do logging in code" and
other "this is how we do it" topics. If we add features documentation,
that duplicates the work in the admin docs (Docbook) and increases user
confusion as to "where is *the* doc".

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack