[Openstack] Allowing clients to pass capability requests through tags?

Eric Day eday at oddments.org
Fri Feb 11 17:36:53 UTC 2011

Hi Sandy,

I agree with using tags for full scheduler selection, it's something
I've been pushing for from the start. The request contains any number
of k/v pairs, the services provide any number of k/v pairs, and the
scheduler performs a match (some required, some optional, ...). I see
the URI/zone as one of those tags, not something we need to overload
to contain all of the capabilities. It should only be a hierarchical
"location", which may be geographic location, organizational location
(dept, ...), or some other type (however you decide to construct
your zones).

For example, imagine a dynamic del.icio.us tag that allowed for domain
name filtering on bookmarks (give me all bookmarks with tags [book
review] [domain:slashdot.org]). For Nova, this means issuing requests
like "create instance with [GPU] [Fast disk] [zone:dc1.example.com]".

The important thing is that this is not a tag specific to a particular
service. For example, Swift would never care or need to understand a
'GPU' tag, but it can share and understand zone tags.

-Eric