[Openstack] Multi Clusters in a Region ...

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 00:05:14 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 12:17 PM, Eric Day <eday at oddments.org> wrote:
> Hi Sandy,
>
> Replying via email since it seems not much discussion is happening
> via the etherpad.
>
> I'm glad to see we're going with REST-API for inter-zone
> communication. This API should be the same thing we use for connecting
> any two clouds together, for example a customers private cloud and a
> public cloud (the private cloud would register resource availability
> for just their account). Keep this use case in mind (multi-tenant
> peering) as you're working through things, as this is probably going
> to be needed sooner than later.

++

> The main concern I have with the current proposal is the hosts
> table. Do we really need this? Instances can belong directly to zones
> and the capabilities can be live data, there is no reason to store
> this in a DB. Various workers (compute, network, volume) can notify
> the scheduler workers their current status either periodically or
> when something changes, and this information can be aggregated and
> pushed to other nodes. We're going to need to do this work eventually
> because we never want the hosts (ie, compute worker) writing directly
> to the DB, which it would need to do now for host stats.

When we discussed multi-cluster in San Antonio last week, Monsyne (or
maybe Chris B?) brought up a similar point, and I believe it was
decided to indeed leave off the hosts table since a zone can contain a
single host or many hosts, and a record in the zone table can be
attached to a set of attributes (I think we were using the term
"policy" or "SLA" for these set of attributes to attach to a zone).

Stuff that we might associate with a host -- for example, host
architecture, RAM, num processors, hypervisor, etc -- can instead be
stored as the zone attributes (policy or SLA).

So, in short, yes, I don't think the hosts table is necessary for the
given specification outlined for multi-cluster right now.

> As far as zone naming, I know we want to keep this free-form, but I'm
> starting to lean towards forcing a URI format. As we start integrating
> existing and introducing new services, we need some common locality
> references for objects between systems (more on this in another
> email later). For Nova, this would mean having something like:
>
> Example Zone Graph (assume a 'openstack-compute://' or other
> 'openstack-<service>://' prefix for all URIs):
>
> rackspace.com
>  north.rackspace.com
>    dc1.north.rackspace.com
>      rack1.dc1.north.rackspace.com
>    dc2.north.rackspace.com
>  south.rackspace.com
>    dc1.south.rackspace.com
>    dc2.south.rackspace.com
>  private.customer1.com
>  private.customer2.com
>
> This allows us to make requests to the API with requests such as
> "Create an instance somewhere under zone 'north.rackspace.com'" or
> "Create an instance under 'existing_instance.zone' because this is
> where I have another instance already". Deployments can choose to be
> as specific as they want and organize names in any way. All URIs will
> be dynamic and could change at any point (migration from failover,
> re-balance, ...), so they should always be auto-discovered before
> being use via another API call.
>
> We can extend this one step further to also give every object in
> OpenStack a URI as well (it may or may not be resolvable via DNS). For
> example instanceXXXX.rack1.dc1.north.rackspace.com. These would also
> be dynamic since obviously a migration may cause it to move racks
> (or huddle, or whatever we want to call them). This would just be
> instance.name + '.' + current_zone_name.
>
> This type of locality naming gives us *some* structure so we can
> easily perform suffix matches across services to see if we're in
> the same zone without understanding the full hierarchy, as well as
> keeping it in a simple format everyone already understands.

I'm not sure I understand what the benefits of naming a zone as a URI
as opposed to just some name that describes it ("USNORTH",
"WINDOWSCAPABLE", "HIGH_SLA", whatever)

-jay