[Openstack] AllocateAddress Taking Forever

Graham Hemingway graham.hemingway at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 20:42:52 UTC 2011

A user is getting odd behavior with his new image.  He creates an instance and then tries to allocate a public IP address for the instance - all done via boto.  He is seeing the call to AllocateAddress take up to 3 minutes to return an address to him.  I can not figure out what is causing my Diablo-3 nova to take so long.  From nova-api.log I see it taking this long for a response to be sent.  Any thoughts?

Just as additional background, he has extensively modified the stock Ubuntu cloudinit script to build a quite elaborate instance.  In the init script he is copying 3+GB of data and building a large number of other services.  Regardless, I do not see how this could impact AllocateAddress calls.

Thanks,
   Graham