[Openstack] proposal to move non-standard ec2 "admin" api in essex

Jesse Andrews anotherjesse at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 18:53:47 UTC 2011

IMPORTANT: this is NOT about removing EC2 api or admin apis - it is
about moving admin extensions to openstack api extensions.

When we first created nova, we created a set of admin apis that helped
make the project configurable without nova-manage.  We shoved them
into the ec2 api layer since the boto libary was so easy to extend.

The primary usecase of these admin apis was the dashboard project
prior to incubation and the nova-adminclient.  During Diablo the
dashboard was rewritten to use openstack apis.

Given that those who require the EC2 api, the reasoning is for
interoperability, I propose we remove the (mostly undocumented) admin
apis.  Blueprint:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/remove-ec2-extensions

For those who don't know what I'm talking about:

The service side:
 * https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/api/ec2/admin.py

The client:
 * https://launchpad.net/nova-adminclient

The functionality that has been ported to openstack extensions:

 * user/project/roles:
   now the domain of keystone
 * host list - already ported:
   https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/api/openstack/v2/contrib/hosts.py

Things that need to be port from to openstack extensions:

 * cloudpipe api (launch/terminate/list vpn instances)
   xtoddx is writing a blueprint to port to openstack api

 * provider firewall rules - http://wiki.openstack.org/spec-provider-firewall
   xtoddx is writing a blueprint to port to openstack api

 * x509 cert generation - exposed in cactus dashboard, used to sign
images in ec2 bundling processes
   part of a blueprint for exposing
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/horizon/+spec/ec2-credentials-download

Thoughts from those who use nova-adminclient or the /services/Admin
ec2 api endpoint?

Thanks,
Jesse