[Openstack] Expectations for tracebacks

Pitucha, Stanislaw Izaak stanislaw.pitucha at hp.com
Thu Dec 15 20:56:51 UTC 2011

> I think all are bugs.
>
> Even if you understand some of them and considers them to be logical,
> you should not see ugly backtraces. You should see nice log lines any
> system administrator can read and understand clearly.

I agree. There are some other practical reasons for it too:
- Exceptions change between releases (line numbers, file names, call stack, etc), so it can be hard to tell sometimes if you're looking at the same thing or different.
- Exceptions take multiple lines and may actually contain the reason only in the last one. That means `grep 'CRIT|ERROR' ...` will not show the real message.
- It might not be a critical situation actually. Most of exceptions will probably be, but there are also possible cases of "couldn't remove X, because it's not there anymore" which might be warnings.

I'd be happy to see exceptions disappear completely from logs, unless something really unexpected happens - then the stacktrace and message help a lot with debugging.

Regards,
Stanisław Pitucha
Cloud Services
Hewlett Packard