[Openstack] Providing packages for stable releases of OpenStack

Duncan McGreggor duncan at dreamhost.com
Thu Dec 8 00:42:46 UTC 2011

On 07 Dec 2011 - 13:54, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Duncan McGreggor wrote:
> >> Creating a packaging team that acknowledge their contribution to the
> >> upstream project will show that the packagers contributions are an
> >> integral part of the openstack development, it would motivate new
> >> packagers to contribute their changes upstream instead of keeping them
> >> in a patch directory within the package.
> >>
> >> I think there is an opportunity to leverage the momentum that is
> >> growing in each distribution by creating an openstack team for them to
> >> meet. Maybe Stefano Maffulli has an idea about how to go in this
> >> direction. The IRC channel was a great idea and it could become more.
> >>
> >> Good packages make a huge difference when it comes to deploying a
> >> solution made of numerous components. A packaging team that spans all
> >> openstack components would reduce the workload as intended while
> >> keeping the subject on the agenda.
> >>
> >> Cheers
> >
> > Wow. I'm so +1 on this. Very well said; sums up my feelings on the
> > matter too.
> >
> > Maybe this could be made an agenda item for the next PPB meeting?
>
> (Speaking with my PPB elected member hat):
>
> You don't need the permission of the PPB to form and grow a team to work
> on something. Just do it :)
>
> The PPB is there to prevent conflicts, not to stand in the way of work
> getting done. It should be consulted only if the work adversely affects
> other groups, or stretches the definition of OpenStack beyond its
> commonly-accepted limits. In this case, forming a group to share and
> coordinate packaging work should not adversely affect anyone... Go for it !

>From the discussion on this thread, it seems to me that most folks are
pretty happy with the way things are being handled :-) Especially with
the additional information that has been shared (various teams, efforts,
etc., that some of us weren't aware of).

If at some future time there indeed seems to be a more explicit need for
addressing/coordinating a multi-team effort of producing "the" OpenStack
distro (packages, docs, procedures, best practices, migration paths,
etc.), it's super-cool to know that there is already implicit support for
that -- thanks!

OpenStack is a phenomenal project; the nature of and clarity of these
discussions shows this definitively. The support for innovation and
collaboration is pretty much unparalleled in other open source projects.
I'm pretty darned stoked to be diving in and getting to know the
components, processes, and people that make this all possible!