[Openstack] Providing packages for stable releases of OpenStack

ghe. rivero ghe.rivero at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 23:09:56 UTC 2011

"Packaging" is just a minor step and the last one. But also an important
one. Without propering packaging, installation and updates can be a real
pain. We should give "packaging" a lot of love, but there is people much
more prepared to do it, and with a little of help, can do a great job.

When one installs an stable release in a production environment, expects it
to have some minor updates and bug fixed for a not so small period of time
(6 months looks to short for me).  Having new releases every 6 months can
be really painful in terms on maintain every release "bug free" for its
lifetime. (Having a lifetime of 1 year, implies to maintain 3 releases
while working on a new one, very time consuming).  Maybe not every release
should be consider equal in terms of prodution release.

Ghe Rivero

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 10:21 PM, Tim Bell <Tim.Bell at cern.ch> wrote:

> We need more than 'just' packaging.... it is using the testing,
> documentation and above all care to produce *and* maintain a stable release
> that production sites can rely on for 6-12 months and know that others are
> relying on it too.
>
> Who is going to make the judgement that a bug fix to the latest Essex
> development branch is a valid patch for a backport to stable/diablo and
> does not break production sites ?
>
> Diablo 2011.3 brought much functionality but also some useful points to
> consider for the future as to how we organise the project.
>
> Tim
>

> > (4) OpenStack will accept and foster a new project, one that is not
> > focused on development, but rather the distribution and it's general
> > stability. This distro project will be responsible for advocating on
> > behalf of various operating systems/distros/sponsoring vendors for
> > bugs that affect performance and stability of OpenStack, or prevent an
> > operating system from running OpenStack.
> >
> > Thoughts?

> Hi
>
> We already have an little informal channel on freenode called
> #openstack-packaging.
>
> Regards
> chuck

 .''`.  Pienso, Luego Incordio
: :' :
`. `'
  `-    www.debian.org    www.hispalinux.es

GPG Key: 26F020F7
GPG fingerprint: 4986 39DA D152 050B 4699  9A71 66DB 5A36 26F0 20F7