[Openstack] [DODCS] HPC with Openstack?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Dec 6 20:10:00 UTC 2011

On Tue, Dec 06, 2011 at 12:04:53PM -0800, Dong-In David Kang wrote:

> [...]

0.9.8 is due out any day now, so not that. My goal is to get it
done by the Fedora 17 development freeze, so hopefully 0.9.9,
or 0.9.10 worst case.

>  By volume attachment, yes, we mean passing through host block devices that is dynamically created by
> nova-volume service (using iscsi).

> > If you let me know what issues you have with libvirt + LXC in
> > OpenStack,
> > I'll put them on my todo list.
> >

>  As Lorin said we implemented it using lxc-attach.
> With lxc-attach we could pass the major/minor number of the (dynamically crated) devices to the LXC instance.
> And with lxc-attach we could do "mknod" inside of the LXC instance.
> I think supporting that by libvirt would be very useful.
> However, it needs lxc-attach working for the Linux kernel.
> We had to upgrade and patch Linux kernel for that purpose.
> If there is a better way, it would be wonderful.
> But I don't know if there is a way other than using lxc-attach.

Yeah, I don't see any practical way todo hotplug with LXC without
having the kernel support merged for attaching to all types of
namespace. Once that's available it will be simple todo it via
libvirt

Regards,
Daniel