[Openstack] Swift - set preferred proxy/datanodes (cross datacenter schema)

Leandro Reox leandro.reox at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 18:27:46 UTC 2011

List,

We're replicating our datacenter in another location (something like
Amazons east and west coast) , thinking about our applications and our use
of Swift, is there any way that we can set up weights for our datanodes so
if a request enter via for example DATACENTER 1 , then we want the main
copy of the data being written on a datanode on the SAME datacenter o read
from the same datacenter, so when we want to read it and comes from a proxy
node of the same datacenter we dont add delay of the latency between the
two datacenters.
The moto is "if a request to write or read enters via DATACENTER 1 then is
served via proxynodes/datanodes located on DATACENTER 1", then the replicas
gets copied across zones over both datacenters.
Routing the request to especific proxy nodes is easy, but dont know if
swift has a way to manage this internally too for the datanodes

Best
Lean