[Openstack] Providing packages for stable releases of OpenStack

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Dec 6 13:28:08 UTC 2011

So the general consensus so far on this discussion seems to be:

(0) The "2011.3 release" PPA bears false expectations and should be
removed now. In the future, we should not provide such PPAs: 0-day
packages for the release should be available from the "last milestone"
PPA anyway.

(1) OpenStack, as an upstream project, should focus on development
rather than on providing a production-ready distribution.

(2) We could provide "daily builds" from the stable/diablo branch for a
variety of releases (much like what we do for the master branch), but
those should be clearly marked "not for production use" and be
best-effort only (like our master branch builds).

(3) This should not prevent a group in the community from working on a
project providing an "openstack on Lucid" production-ready distribution
if they so wishes. This project would just be another distribution of
OpenStack.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack