[Openstack] Cloud Computing StackExchange site proposal

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Mon Dec 5 19:44:47 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-12-05 at 09:51 +0100, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> AskBot (Python/Django, GPL) - http://askbot.com/
> Used by Fedora at http://ask.fedoraproject.org/questions/, can use
> Launchpad OpenID for auth.

I looked at AskBot doesn't seem to have any mechanism to build a FAQ or
to mark a question as 'solved' or 'obsolete'. I noticed that people edit
the questions adding the word [solved] in the question, which is not
very elegant.

I also couldn't make the authentication with Launchpad but it worked
with my other openID provider (claimID): Launchpad having problems with
OpenID? Twitter's OAuth worked. The customization of UI seems to be
limited but it will need more investigation.

> The next two in line are:
>
> Shapado (Ruby) - http://shapado.com/ : Very active, but confusing UI...

Launchpad auth didn't work but claimID worked. Definitely a problem on
LP side.

Aside from that, I love the multilanguage support! One can ask questions
in another language. I'll check with the international user groups if
this feature is interesting.  Also, Shapado has the concept of 'Accepted
answer' and can close the question if it becomes obsolete. I didn't find
the same feature on AskBot.

> OSQA (Python) - http://www.osqa.net/ : No activity in the last 8 months

Uhm... Jira activity is low http://jira.osqa.net/browse/OSQA but I see a
few recent commits on trunk