[Openstack] Cloud Computing StackExchange site proposal

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Fri Dec 2 22:37:28 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-11-28 at 08:17 -0800, Stefano Maffulli wrote:
> Leaving aside naming the tools, what would be the most important
> features to have?

Here is the list of requirements we gathered:

* good search engine
* ability to promote question and best answer to FAQ
* good looking and nice to use
* custom domain (like ask.openstack.org)
* layout customizable, to give it the "openstack.org look"
* use Launchpad login
* Tagging
* Use of a reputation system to encourage participation and get a better
handle on authoritative answers
 * a method or process for flagging topics which should migrate  into
documentation and/or the wiki. In details: (1) a way of flagging a
question or discussion as a doc bug, a potential enhancement, or even a
product bug. 2) A way of closing the loop, and updating the question to
indicate the issue is resolved/fixed, and no longer relevant.
* a way to assign a question to a particular version (or milestone) in
order to better mark questions (and answers) as obsolete

I would add an extra requirement: that the tool itself must be 'free as
in freedom' software.

I'm assuming we want all of these requirements satisfied. We should
start talking about tools now.

What tool do you know that allows us to satisfy these requirements? Help
me build a list of tools to evaluate. I'm especially interested in
seeing whether we can improve upon the tools we already have.

thanks
stef