[Openstack] questions about rabbitmq channels

Joseph Heck heckj at mac.com
Wed Aug 31 06:14:42 UTC 2011

There are multiple sets of channels -

Direct - to send messages to a specific instance of nova-compute on a specific host, Topic - to send messages to "all instances" of nova-compute, and then reply channels for the RPC mechanism to return values through the message queue based on message ID.

The fanout channel is only (at the moment) actively used by the nova-scheduler - the rpc.cast() and rpc.call() mechanisms are all using the topic (any instance of...) channels or the instance specific (directed to an instance on a host) channel.

-joe