[Openstack] New nova service proposal

Matt Dietz matt.dietz at rackspace.com
Mon Aug 29 16:52:01 UTC 2011

I would think we have enough tracking information to support the goal of
identifying failures. In any scenario, some of the failures will simply be
unrecoverable.

Regarding the process crashing, who's to say the retry process also
wouldn't crash? We could endlessly argue the arbiter/watchdog processes
will crash at each tier. As such, I think it's better to say we need a
simpler mechanism for identifying failures and perhaps a best-effort
retry.

Retrying can be scary, to say the least. You can't possibly handle all of
the possible failure scenarios, and some of the ones you think you can
might be different in subtle ways such that retrying them only causes more
issues.

I agree with Lamar that we could make things significantly more reliable,
and I think that's where we should start. We may find that, after some
stabilization work, the failure rate is acceptably low and any retry
mechanism is no longer required.