[Openstack] API Spec

Thor Wolpert thor at wolpert.ca
Sun Aug 28 23:19:35 UTC 2011

I'm a huge fan of Peter Coad in the area of software architecture.
One of the largest hurdles to overcome is the separation between code
& design.  The larger the gap, the more they diverge and the greater
the inconsistencies become.  Many tools (like xdoclet, Together, etc.)
have focused on keeping the code and design better in sync.  There are
some projects that do a very good job of having core documentation in
the code (Cocoon) and others that have had it much more separated
(Jini / River). The one thing that I have seen more common in having
far separated design docs, is that most current ones have reference
systems that are taken as the correct implementation and still
override the docs.

As we don't have a "reference implementation" to point to, I think
keeping the core spec in the code is better, but it will require more
adherence to a design pattern that can pull quality documentation from
the code base.  Leveling that documentation is hard though, but seems
to be quite worth it.

Thor HW