[Openstack] New nova service proposal

Vishvananda Ishaya vishvananda at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 21:53:50 UTC 2011

Hey Ed,

Great idea. I think there are a lot of ways we can go with this.  I started working on a branch called tasks that did something like this.  It essentially allowed you to put every action into a tasks database and you could re-run tasks that didn't complete properly.  It was based on the idea that every action should be composed of a bunch of idempotent chunks.

I have since discovered that a lot of what I had done is very similar to the concept of a task in celery.  In general i think that actions should become first class citizens.  Action requests to the api should get back a UUID representing the "task" (or "reservation" if you prefer), and we should use the task object to keep track of the status of the action.  Right now status of actions are stored in status fields in the objects that are acted on.  This makes for difficult logic when tasks involve multiple objects (boot from volume for example). If we have rich information in a task object, a recovery service could be written to retry or fix failing tasks.

Regardless of the approach, this seems like a great topic for the summit.  So coming up with some proposals would be awesome.

Vish