[Openstack] API Spec

Soren Hansen soren at linux2go.dk
Fri Aug 26 19:48:59 UTC 2011

2011/8/25 Jorge Williams <jorge.williams at rackspace.com>:
>> On Aug 24, 2011, at 12:02 PM, Soren Hansen wrote:
> 2011/8/24 Jorge Williams <jorge.williams at rackspace.com>:
> Okay, I do remember these, but the talks focus on documenting what the
> implementation does.  I'm all for it, docstrings are good, but that's not
> what I usually think of a specification.  So  we are having a semantic
> disconnect here....

Indeed.

"docstrings" can have any format, language, verbosity. It's a string.
You can put as much or as little stuff in them as you please (if you
have one at all!). Anything you can possibly think of putting in what
you refer to as an API spec, you can put in a docstring.

>> OpenStack was created to stop every company wanting to do offer cloud
>> computing from reinventing everything and have everyone work
>> together.  What's the use of competing implementations? We'll be
>> right back to square one.
> Because whether you like it or not there are competing vendors...

I don't think making our lives more difficult to make our competitor's
easier is a way a strategy we'll get very far with, to be honest.

--
Soren Hansen        | http://linux2go.dk/
Ubuntu Developer    | http://www.ubuntu.com/