[Openstack] Why are we using github again?

Johannes Erdfelt johannes at erdfelt.com
Fri Aug 26 17:29:16 UTC 2011

I'm struggling to find a reason why the Openstack project is using
github.

The use of Gerrit and other tools has reduced github to being just a
pretty way to view a git repository.

We can't use the github workflow of forking the repository, since that
confuses the tools for Gerrit. There's workarounds, but they are
awkward.

We can't use pull requests since we have Gerrit for that purpose.

We can't use bug tracking since we have Launchpad for that purpose.

So what value is github bringing to the development process?

I'll tell you that it's confusing to say we're using github, except for
all of the features it provides beyond a web interface to view the
repository.

It seems like Openstack could host it's own git repository and avoid a
lot of confusion to the people expecting github style workflow.

JE