[Openstack] Issues with Packaging and a Proposal

Thomas Goirand thomas at goirand.fr
Thu Aug 25 18:35:19 UTC 2011

On 08/26/2011 12:46 AM, Monty Taylor wrote:
>> What would be the use of "pristine-tarball" ? Prepare .tar.gz for
>> generic distributions, like RPMs or let's say Gentoo?
>
> Nope. It helps in generation of tarballs for the debian packaging too.
> Check out the --git-pristine-tar option to git-buildpackage. It's pretty
> cool... I think you'll like it.

I still don't get it. If we use:
 --git-upstream-branch=upstream-${whatever}

that will create the orig.tar.gz for us automatically, and since we are
upstream authors, why do we need a "pristine-tarball" branch for?

As much as I understand, the pristine-tar thing is to be used when
there's a tarball from upstream, and we need to keep tracks of a delta.
But since we aren't even producing tarballs for Openstack, I don't get
what would be the point. Can you enlighten me? :)

Thomas