[Openstack] Issues with Packaging and a Proposal

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Thu Aug 25 17:50:33 UTC 2011

On 08/25/2011 09:54 AM, Rick Clark wrote:
> I have a suggestion.  Let's let the distros do whatever they want.

Yes.

> While we need a development platform, we are not required to provide
>  packages for each distribution.  We got where we are today, because
> we we have many ubuntu devs that are also openstack devs.  Whether
> Ubuntu takes the packages from debian or spins their own, is not our
> concern.
>
> Even if we develop on Ubuntu at the end of a release, we could just
> release our code with dependencies.  What comes next is up to each
> distribution.

I'm pretty much in agreement here- other than my (now easily old and
boring) arguments that it is incumbent on us to provide an output
product for people to be able to consume.

> This is much more in line with other upstream projects.

http://pkg.jenkins-ci.org/debian/
http://download.gluster.com/pub/gluster/glusterfs/LATEST/
http://www.apache.org/dist/cassandra/debian
http://downloads-distro.mongodb.org/repo/debian-sysvinit
http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian

I could list more ... but I think my point is made here.

Monty